I am so excited about this jacket!
Planning the jacket, I had printed the silk on the 44″ Epson printer in my studio and laid it out on the worktable. Moving the pattern pieces around, I tried to envision where each section of the jacket might look best. It would be a tight fit, and I wasn’t sure which sections of the painting would look best on the front, back and sleeves.
You can see on the video of the full image that the painting has some blue sections, some gold, and some very light aqua. When the colors weren’t going where I wished they would, I decided to try out my new fabric paints on the silk. This, I thought, would enable me to get the colors I wished ~ exactly where I envisioned them.
I am really pleased with the way the silk takes my brush strokes. Iridescent aqua, copper, purple, blue green and gold added sparkle and depth to the silk. From wide strokes of subtle washes to finely detailed grasses and seeds, I am able to control the marks by varying the color saturation and brush.
This is going to be a one-of-a-kind!
You can see the details in this photo, how the gold and copper strokes are subtle, yet vibrant. I used a washy watercolor brush to lay the aqua in between the branch. This added depth and sparkle to the fabric.
Here’s another view
I laid the brush on the silk so you can see the scale of the imagery. I decided this section would be the front of the jacket. And that I would cut front bands from contrasting golds on the other side of the silk.
The jacket is for sale on my website. See more photos of the finished jacket with size and purchase info.